Thursday, May 29, 2014

(Re)Building of Maliba

After living here for two years I stopped seeing how unbelievably beautiful it is.  Although the scenery does not make life any easier for the people in the living in these rural villages.  But it certainly does add to the heart of the place.

After I left Lesotho my host organization, Maliba Lodge burned down from an electrical fire.  And now I am back during the rebuilding of Maliba.  I am staying in the newly completed conference center and the main lodge is really taking form and looks like it will be even grander than the original. 

The fire was very hard on the staff, many of whom were involved in its original construction.  More than just new buildings, I am amazed at how far the staff have come since I left.  Everyone have reached a high level of professionalism that you don’t typically find in Lesotho.  And everyone has learned how to use a computer!  I attribute these changes to their hard work and really good management, which appears to have focused on capacity building rather than merely running the lodge.  In Peace Corps our focus is on capacity building, so people are empowered after we leave, and the transformations I see in the staff here would put any Peace Corps volunteer to shame.


I also was here in time to attend a going away party for one of the staff members.  There was mountains of grilled food and drinks, but more remarkably the party was a mix of Basotho and South African staff, socializing as equals, something that never happened in my day.  It was wonderful to see, I am so proud of my Maliba and her staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment