Sunday, May 1, 2011

My Project(s)

I’ve had some people ask about the projects that I’m working on here in Lesotho. It’s a bit difficult to explain since I'm involved in many things, so I’ve attached below the summary I submitted to Peace Corps about the work that I’d done by February. It has changed a bit, but hopefully this makes things a bit more clear.

I am working to incorporate the benefits of Maliba Lodge into the larger community. I, with another PCV, linked GRO local artisans to the lodge, where they are now selling their jewelry very successfully. I also helped establish an internship program with local schools and the local agricultural training center, where the ag students get valuable experience working on projects and small ag businesses, while the schools get ag experts to help them with their projects. I helped set up 5 agricultural projects at local schools, funded by Maliba Community Trust. The projects combine small business and environmental teachings into the schools' gardens. I also teach lifeskills at 4 local schools, one to two times a week each. Lifeskills cover topics of health, HIV/AIDS and gender issues. I also lead bi-weekly teacher workshops on lifeskills, classroom management, lesson planning, etc. I am currently working on an application for the Maliba Community Trust, so that the schools and the broader local community can apply for aid, get what they request and need, and make maintenance of previous donations part of the process. Hopefully the recipients will take more ownership in what they receive and maintain it. I am also about to begin research for my master’s thesis, conducting door-to-door household surveys.

No comments:

Post a Comment